DISCOVERIES REPORTS (ISSN 2393249X), 2022, volume 5
CITATION: Bucur DE. New FDA approved therapy for Helicobacter pylori infection. Discoveries 2022, 5(2): e34. DOI: 10.15190/d.2022.8
New FDA approved therapy for Helicobacter pylori infection
Daniel Erik Bucur 1,*
1 Cantemir Voda National College, Bucharest, Romania
* Corresponding author: Daniel Erik Bucur, Cantemir Voda National College, Str. Viitorului 60, Bucharest, 030167, Romania; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org;
Approximately 90% of the gastric cancer cases have been linked to Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori). H pylori remains a real threat, infecting approximately 4 billion people in 2015 around the globe. It is also known to colonize the gastrointestinal mucosa of almost half the human population. Currently, the most common treatment for H. pylori infection is the first line clarithromycin–based triple therapy or a quadruple therapy replacing clarithromycin with new antibiotics. Vonoprazan-based triple therapy has been reported to have greater efficacy than a proton pump inhibitor-based triple therapy for H. pylori. In 2022, the U.S. Food and Drugs Administration approved the vonoprazan-based triple and dual therapies. This latest treatment represents a proof of concept for the development of even more efficient and advanced treatments targeting H. pylori, in order to significantly decrease gastrointestinal-related pathologies.
Access FULL text of the manuscript here: FULL ARTICLE (PDF)
1. Gu H. Role of Flagella in the Pathogenesis of Helicobacter pylori. Curr Microbiol. 2017 Jul;74(7):863-869. doi: 10.1007/s00284-017-1256-4.
2. Kotilea K, Bontems P, Touati E. Epidemiology, Diagnosis and Risk Factors of Helicobacter pylori Infection. Part of the Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology book series. 2019. AMIDPH,volume 1149.
3. Kajihara Y, Shimoyama T, Mizuki I. Analysis of the cost-effectiveness of using vonoprazan-amoxicillin-clarithromycin triple therapy for first-line Helicobacter pylori eradication. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2017 Feb;52(2):238-241.
4. Deguchi H, Yamazaki H, Kamitani T, Yamamoto Y, Fukuhara S. Impact of Vonoprazan Triple-Drug Blister Packs on H. pylori Eradication Rates in Japan: Interrupted Time Series Analysis. Adv Ther. 2021 Jul;38(7):3937-3947.
5. Gravina AG, Zagari RM, De Musis C, Romano L, Loguercio C, Romano M. Helicobacter pylori and extragastric diseases: A review. World J Gastroenterol. 2018 Aug 7;24(29):3204-3221.
6. Kocsmár É, Buzás GM, Szirtes I, Kocsmár I, Kramer Z, Szijártó A, Fadgyas-Freyler P, Szénás K, Rugge M, Fassan M, Kiss A, Schaff Z, Röst G, Lotz G. Primary and secondary clarithromycin resistance in Helicobacter pylori and mathematical modeling of the role of macrolides. Nat Commun. 2021 Apr 15;12(1):2255.
7. Koech LC, Irungu BN, Ng'ang'a MM, Ondicho JM, Keter LK. Quality and Brands of Amoxicillin Formulations in Nairobi, Kenya. Biomed Res Int. 2020 Jun 12;2020:7091278.
8. Tran TT, Nguyen AT, Quach DT, Pham DT, Cao NM, Nguyen UT et al.. Emergence of amoxicillin resistance and identification of novel mutations of the pbp1A gene in Helicobacter pylori in Vietnam. BMC Microbiol. 2022 Feb 3;22(1):41.
9. Kiyotoki S, Nishikawa J, Sakaida I. Efficacy of Vonoprazan for Helicobacter pylori Eradication. Intern Med. 2020 Jan 15;59(2):153-161.
10. Voquezna (vonoprazan) for the Treatment of Helicobacter Pylori Infection, USA. Accessed on August 25th, 2022. VOQUEZNA (vonoprazan) to Treat H Pylori Infection in Adults, USA (clinicaltrialsarena.com)
11. Highlights of prescribing information, voquezna triple pak, voquezna dual pak. Accessed on August 25th, 2022 from: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2022/215152s000,215153s000lbl.pdf
Photo courtesy to CDC/Unsplash, through Site123.com